HomeTVParamount CEO Bob Bakish Says Streaming Bundling Will Increase, Possibly With Third...

Paramount CEO Bob Bakish Says Streaming Bundling Will Increase, Possibly With Third Parties; Cites Evidence That Paramount+ Combo With Showtime Boosted Viewing

-

Paramount Global CEO Bob Bakish isn’t ruling out the possibility of the company teaming with other players in the media space to create a more viable streaming bundle.

“We’ve been believers in bundling for a long time,” the exec said on the company’s second-quarter earnings call. “Bundling has been one of the tried-and-true methods of value creation in media and certainly as we enter the streaming space, bundling is part of our strategy.”

The company’s quarterly report showed narrower streaming losses but only a modest gain in Paramount+ subscribers, to 61 million. The flagship streaming service integrated Showtime just before the June 30 end of the quarter, with higher prices accompanying the revamp. Revenue at Paramount+ — a majority chunk of the overall $1.7 billion in the Direct-to-Consumer division — increased 47% over the year-earlier quarter.

Bakish noted that the company has long pursued bundling in various forms. Paramount+ and Showtime were offered as a discount-priced bundle when they were still separate services, and the company also created hard bundles with pay-TV operators, especially outside the U.S.

Because of Paramount’s scale relative to tech giants as well as media rivals like Disney, Comcast and Warner Bros. Discovery, investors and industry observers have long speculated about its options. Many have predicted an M&A move, though the dust has only recently settled after the chaotic years that led up to the closing of the ViacomCBS merger in December 2019.

Given the family control of the company’s shares and the significant regulatory hurdles standing in the way of a full-on merger, a streaming alliance could be a path forward. The need to consider such an initiative has only grown as the overall climate has grown more harsh to streaming, with Wall Street insisting on profitability rather than subscriber growth, and big questions looming about the economics of streaming. Paramount did enter into a joint venture with Comcast, SkyShowtime, which launched last year as a way for both companies to reach certain European markets with a less onerous financial commitment than a solo streaming effort.

“We are continuing to look at incremental opportunities” in bundling, Bakish continued. “The only thing we know for sure is, it will be a growing part of what we’re doing. As to the specifics of partnerships and timing, et cetera, we’ll see. But bundling is definitely a value-added element of streaming because it gives you access to consumer connections … and has certain attractive margin characteristics. So, we like bundling.”

Paramount+ With Showtime, which officially launched June 27, “is an example of pulling all these levers,” Bakish said, alluding to revenue growth via price increases, subscription gains and ad monetization, plus cost and operational efficiencies.

Blending the two services into one — a move that will be mirrored in linear TV in the coming months — has generated $700 million in cost savings, Bakish said.

The combination has also yielded “a stronger product for consumers and our partners, one that is more engaging with less churn,” he added. “For the last year or so, we’ve had a bundle of Showtime and Paramount in the market. Customers of that bundle consumed over 40% more titles” than those with single subscriptions to one or the other. “So, we have clear, predictive data that an integrated product will deliver enhanced consumer engagement in streaming and, soon, in linear.”

Content Source: deadline.com

LATEST POSTS

From Imtiaz Ali To Sanjay Leela Bhansali: Madhurima Tuli Shares Names Of three Administrators She Needs To Work With Subsequent! – E Cinema News

Over the years, Madhurima Tuli, as an artiste has labored immensely laborious to cement her area of interest like no different. From being part of...

‘High Ground’ Interview: Jon Voight and Charlie Weber

(Left) Jon Voight in 'High Ground'. Photo: Republic Pictures. (Right) Charlie Weber in 'High Ground'. Photo: Republic Pictures.Available to purchase on digital starting March 18th...

‘Novocaine’ Overview: A Painmuch less Action Comedy

The man who coined the phrase “Life is ache” by no means met Nathan Caine. Nate is with a particularly uncommon genetic dysfunction known as “congenital...

Daaku Maharaaj on OTT: Netflix removes all scenes of Urvashi Rautela from Nandamuri Balakrishna’s movie? FACT CHECK | ECinema News

Amid huge buzz which was partly fueled by controversial remarks made by Urvashi Rautela, her movie Daaku Maharaaj reverse Nandamuri Balakrishna hit theaters on January...

Most Popular